Viewing entries in
Dr. Rick Brinkman explains why people act the way they do and what you can do about it, to employees of ITV London, UK at their December Lunch & Learn.
I am proud to announce that our book Dealing with People You Can't Stand, How to Bring Out the Best in People at Their Worst (Brinkman & Kirschner, McGraw-Hill 2004, 2003, 2012) is now in it's 25th language. The companion book which we affectionately call "the Cliff Notes" version: 24 Lessons for Managers: Dealing with Difficult People has also come out in Polish.
Having a sense of purpose may add years to your life, regardless of what the purpose is, research suggests.
Not only does it contribute to healthy aging, but it may also stave off early death, according to a study of 7,000 Americans.
When my mother, Auschwitz survivor was up against adversity she would say, "It's time to spring into action!"
That philosophy led to her and her sisters to escape a death march in January of 1945 and served her the rest of her life.
This time of year we tend to put our attention on manifesting the future. I have found the #1 reason people set goals and don't achieve them is either they haven't clarified values or don't have a specific enough plan. Here is a gift to you from the book Life by Design, (Brinkman & Kirschner, McGraw-Hill) and my audio Life by Design (Brinkman, CareerTrack), the chapters on clarifying values.
I was recently interviewed by Her Campus for tips to deal with "senior freakout." Meaning ;-) college life is over and you have to join the real world. ;-) The process I suggest is valid for anyone dealing with anything. It's about how to control your reactions and put yourself in the state of being you need to be successful with whatever you are dealing with.
You can access the article here.
Yes, I'll admit it. I'm a Star Trek fan. And of all series and generations. I appreciate a vision of an era where humans can get over their BS with each other and cooperate so that they can experience the same old BS with aliens.
For those of you who may not be fans, the Ferengi race is all about acquisition and profit. Their "bible" is the Rules of Acquisition.
There is one rule I have had tapped to my wall for sometime that relates to living a Life by Design. I share it with you to support your fulfillment of what is important to you.
Rule of Acquisition #173
Go for your dreams. You can do it.
PRIVATE SESSIONS AVAILABLE
I am delighted to announce the availability of private counseling/coaching sessions over the phone (Portland area office visits are possible.) I consider it an honor to work with people one-on-one and see them make positive changes in their health and behavior. If you are ready, I am here to help you.
Typically, I get results with people in 3 to 5 visits, over the course of a few months. We get results fast because we create change from the inside out. As part of the therapy, I record a customized hypnotic therapeutic audio specifically made for you to address your issues. Listening to the audio daily will put you into a very relaxed meditative alpha state. It will be a major stress release for you each day. This alone will benefit you greatly. But even better, while you are in that meditative state we'll also be addressing your specific issues and planting the seeds of behavioral change, new attitudes, new reactions, and new ways of being.
What can I help you with? (Here are some examples.)
Difficult People (Including yourself!)
- You can change your reactions to anyone and anything.
- Perhaps you don't want to react in a certain way to a spouse or need more patience with your kids.
- Does someone you care about say, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it"? Tone of voice trumps words and it reflects your internal state. Your internal state is subject to change upon your notice and together we can give it notice.
- By mastering your reactions, you also produce a positive change in other people. Whenever you bring out the best in yourself, you bring out the best in those around you.
- Become more successful with difficult behaviors. There is a "right response" in both attitude and strategy to difficult behaviors such as tank attacks, whining, negativity, etc. Together we'll program that "right response" in your unconscious so you automatically respond successfully. People you once found difficult, will become easy for you to handle.
- You can end self-defeating habits that no longer serve you and replace them with new positive habits.
Work or Professional Issues
- Transform your reactions to become comfortable and confident in a variety of situations such as speaking in front of a group.
- Someone recently asked me, "...how can I keep from Tank attacking my employees." No problem, that can quickly change.
- You can overcome depression, anxiety and even physical symptoms that have not been alleviated by other treatment.
- Start exercising and think of it as fun.
- Make dietary changes that support you and enjoy it.
- Let go of stress and maintain calm in the midst of a storm.
Life by Design
- I can be your Life by Design partner, helping you clarify your values and goals and move forward confidently. You'll break through any obstacles in your path whether they relate to belief in yourself, procrastination, or logistical limits.
Other Personal Issues Including Relationship Problems
- With couples communication counseling, you both can neutralize your triggers, untie your knots, and create communication that works for both of you.
- Get at the deeper cause behind physical ailments. If you have not had a work up from a Naturopathic physician then I will connect you to someone in your area or a doctor with whom you can work long distance. He/she and I will work together to coordinate treatment addressing both your physical and mental/emotional issues.
- I have worked with amateurs and professionals in various sports to keep themselves in "the zone" and enhance their performance. One high school diver went on to become a champion at an Ivy League school and used his audio before every swim meet.
Sales people know they have a zone. It's a state of being when they are really on their game, communication is flowing, and they are having their prospect "get it". You can get in your sales zone at will.
What is the process?
Each of our phone sessions is 30-50 minutes. When we're off the phone, I'll record your customized audio. It will be in MP3 format (or CD upon request) and is typically 22-25 minutes in length. Once a day, you lie down or sit with your eyes closed and listen to the audio. It's wonderfully relaxing, stress will melt away and in the days and weeks to come, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how you respond differently in new positive ways to old situations.
The number of visits and how often depends on the specifics of what you need. Typically we have a first phone visit, then a quick check-in a few days later to make sure the audio works for you. The second therapeutic visit is 2 weeks after that, then another therapeutic visit in 2-3 weeks. If needed, we have two more visits 1 month apart.
My patients have always been stunned at how easy and effective therapy can be and how quickly they can change.
To Make an Appointment or Questions
When I work with people, they have my full attention and commitment to getting the results they desire. Therefore, I can work with a limited number of people. At this time, I can accept 15 clients (one slot of which is already filled). I'll keep a waiting list and as I complete with a client I'll schedule the next person on the list.
This is an investment in yourself and there is no obligation to complete the series. You will know very quickly that you are getting the results you want.
Now is the time to make the transformation you desire. To schedule or for questions please write email@example.com or call 503-635-4145.
PS: This owl visited my backyard as I sat on the deck and wrote this. It's only the second time I've seen an owl here in 23 years. Perhaps it's symbolic of your inner wisdom that we can find together to make positive change.